(330) 785-3337

I want my fair share of our property. How can I make sure that happens?

Marital property is subject to division between the parties at the time of divorce. If you and your spouse cannot agree to the division of your property, there are specific guidelines to be followed by the court. Marital property is property that was acquired during the marriage. Any property that you brought into the marriage or that you inherited during the marriage remains with you in most cases, and is not considered to be marital property.

Retirement accounts and pension plans are considered to be marital assets. The amount of those accounts that were earned during the marriage is subject to division at the time of divorce. A Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) is a court order that is entered at the end of the case and is directed to the administrator of the pension plan and ensures that the marital portion of the account will be appropriately divided at the time of retirement.

Review the information on our Web site to learn about the family law representation we provide to our clients in the counties of Summit, Portage and Medina, Ohio. Please contact us or call us at (330) 785-3337 for more information.