(330) 785-3337

Dissolution of Marriage in Ohio

Our lawyers in Akron, Ohio can represent and guide you in the dissolution of your marriage.

Dissolution of Marriage is a form of no fault termination of the marriage relationship. In a dissolution, both parties have agreed upon all issues that must be resolved prior to filing the case. The agreement is put in the form of a Separation Agreement which addresses the division of marital property, spousal support, parental rights and responsibilities, child support, debts, and any other areas documented.

If you are contemplating the dissolution of your marriage, please contact the David A. Looney Co. LPA at 330-785-3337, or fill out our contact form. We serve clients in the Summit, Portage, Stark, Medina, and Wayne counties of Ohio. With over 50 years of combined legal experience, we are aggressive, equipped and prepared to fight for you and help you solve your legal problems.

The Dissolution of Marriage agreement is attached to a Petition for Dissolution and signed by both parties. It states that the parties wish to have their marriage dissolved based upon the terms contained in the Separation Agreement.

The basic advantage of a dissolution is that it is not adversarial in nature, both parties have control over the final outcome, there is no plaintiff or defendant, and the court basically does not make any decisions. The procedure is faster and less costly than a contested divorce proceeding, yet has the same legal effect as a divorce.

Jurisdictional requirements require at least one of the parties have been a resident of the state of Ohio for at least six months immediately prior to the filing of the petition. After the petition is filed, a hearing date is scheduled. The hearing must be held not less than 30 days, nor more than 90 days after the filing of the petition. Both parties must appear at the hearing.

The experienced family law attorneys at the David A. Looney Co. LPA can advise you on the best legal approach for a Dissolution of Marriage agreement in your case. Call us at 330-785-3337, or fill out our contact form.